Updated: Feb 23, 2020
This is the ultimate healing vegie broth!! I like to enjoy this while I'm doing a cleanse, especially one that involves a juice fast. The sweetness of a juice fast can be too much sometimes and this broth satisfies my hankering for something savoury. It's especially good when cleansing during the colder months. This broth is super healing and is super easy for the digestive system to process and assimilate all of the abundant nutrients within. If you're not fasting, feel free to eat the vegies as well!! To ensure you're getting the best quality broth, I recommend using organic produce.
250-300g sweet potato
150g mushrooms (fresh or dried e.g. shiitake)
2-3 stalks celery
2 cloves garlic
Knob of fresh turmeric, grated
Knob of fresh ginger, grated (optional)
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried oregano
1-2 tbsp miso paste
1 tbsp nori flakes (other seaweed works too e.g. dulse, kombu)
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
Handful of parsley
Handful of greens e.g. kale, spinach, silverbeet (optional)
2-2.5 litres filtered water
1 tbsp cold pressed organic olive oil (optional)
1. Chop all of the vegies (except for the parsley and the greens) and add to large saucepan.
2. Add filtered water to saucepan along with salt, pepper, dulse, miso paste and dried herbs.
3. Bring to boil and then simmer (on very low heat) for approximately 60 minutes.
4. Turn the heat off. Stir through the parsley and greens. If adding the olive oil (which I really recommend as it adds depth to the broth), stir through now.
5. If eating as a broth, scoop out the vegies and store in a glass container, leaving the lovely nutritious liquid. Alternatively for a stronger flavour, leave the vegies in and scoop out the broth to serve.
6. Scoop broth into bowl and enjoy!
If you're interested in plant based eating, I'd love to help you. Get recipes and more here.